Ernest Brown & Phillips Ltd was founded in 1902 (Ernest Brown and Cecil Phillips) and traded as the Leicester Galleries until 1977. During that period they organised over 1,400 exhibitions of paintings, watercolours, drawings, sculpture and prints. Every exhibition was accompanied with a catalogue many with prefaces by prominent writers.
In 1977 Christopher Phillips founded Leicester Art Books which dealt in art reference books until 2003. The Leicester Galleries has now returned to art dealing as Ernest Brown & Phillips Ltd. Originally the Galleries were located in Leicester Square and then in South Audley Street and finally in Cork St. London.