The McManus, Dundee's Art Gallery and Museum part of Dundee Art Galleries and Museums Collection (Dundee City Council) is a Gothic Revival style building housing the city's collection of fine and applied art. It was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott, incorporating a number of galleries, a library and reading room, and opened to the public as the Albert Institute in 1867. It was built on a former marshland, immediately north of the old city walls of Dundee and the building was always presented with structural problems. It was closed to the public from 2005-10 for its largest renovation to date.
The galleries hold a rich and varied collection from excellent 19th and 20th-century paintings to photographic works as well as a significant collection of ceramics and glass by contemporary Scottish makers. The Museum's collection of contemporary photography is pioneering. Recent purchases have included works by artists of international importance like Joseph McKenzie, John Stezaker, Ruth Ewan, Wolfgang Tillmans, Moyna Flannigan and Graham Fagen.