Following the bequest of 33 artworks and funds for the building of an art gallery by the brothers John and Cuthbert Grundy in 1908, Blackpool's Grundy Art Gallery opened to the public in 1911. The collection has grown over the years and includes Victorian oils and watercolours, modern British paintings with the work of Augustus John, Eric Ravilious, Picasso and Julian Trevelyan, alongside many souvenirs of Blackpool since its growth as a tourist destination in the 19th-century. Contemporary works include pieces by Gilbert & George, Peter Blake, Craigie Aitchison, Laura Ford, Martin Creed, Haroon Mirza and Lubaina Himid.
Many of the more important works in the collection have been acquired through the gallery's membership to the Contemporary Art Society, including a Picasso print The Dove of Peace, acquired in 1952.
The Grundy’s collection is not on permanent display but is presented in a number of themed exhibitions throughout the year. The gallery programme focuses on the display of temporary exhibitions which bring excellent contemporary works and artists to the town.