Following the bequest of thirty-three artworks and funds for the building of an art gallery by John and Cuthbert Grundy, Blackpool's Grundy Art Gallery opened to the public in 1908.
The collection has grown over the years and includes Victorian oils and watercolours, modern British paintings with the work of Augustus John, Eric Ravilious, Picasso and Julian Trevelyan, alongside many souvenirs of Blackpool since its growth as a tourist destination in the 19th-century.
Contemporary works include pieces by Gilbert and George, Peter Blake, Craigie Aitchison, Laura Ford and Martin Creed. Many of the more ‘important’ works in the collection have been acquired through the gallery's membership to the Contemporary Art Society, including a Picasso print The Dove of Peace.
The Grundy’s collection is not on permanent display but is presented in a number of themed exhibitions throughout the year. The gallery programme focuses on the display of temporary exhibitions which bring excellent contemporary works and artists to the town. The context of Blackpool is very much on the director’s mind as he plans the programme.
Walking through the gallery doors into the pleasing reception area, you are greeted by lovely bright galleries where wooden floors and newly furnished skylights are a perfect environment for the exhibitions. This is a great place, run on a shoestring with an intelligent and enjoyable exhibition programme.
Stuart Tulloch Grundy Art Gallery, Blackpool 2009